Thursday 8 November 2012

This is the end…


The whole of UK talks about the “Skyfall”, the new James Bond, and so I decided to watch this. I’m not a huge fan of action films, and so obviously I’m not an expert in these. I found the oldest stories about James Bond interesting, I watched: “From Russia with love”, “Dr.No” and “Goldfinger” featuring Sean Connery followed by “For your eyes only” and my favourite one “Octopussy” with Roger Moore. These are classical films and show James Bond, an English special agent 007 as an invincible, extraordinarily intelligent and heartbreaking playboy. He is able to handle any dangerous situation using his strength, cleverness and flair. The plots are always full of uncommon and unpredictable action scenes. On the other hand they are very recurrent, as James Bond is shown to be trapped by a beautiful woman and has to make passionate love with her. It has to be dangerous for him, however he is able to sort out all difficulties, overcome all his enemies and finally he comes back safe and sound to the UK, the country he loves most.

The newest James Bond, played by Daniel Craig, is different in comparison to the older films. The plot is related to the previous stories and the main scheme is the same, however the character is shown as a “resurrected immortal” person rather than the best agent in the World. He has no physical strength to pass the tests prepared for agents before they receive special works, but his loyalty and patriotism pushes him to fight against the enemies of the British Empire. He is no longer the best one as he makes a couple of school boy errors due to his age, body limits as well as sentimental thinking. Despite these he is able to run away even if he though should be dead.

In my opinion the plot is too sophisticated, which makes the story unbelievable, too long and boring which irritates me. It’s not only an action film as the characters talk too much about psychological issues. It also can’t be classified as a drama or a psychological film as it doesn’t discuss these topics deep enough. I believe that the director, Sam Mendes, tried to create this film family friendly as cruelty as well as nudity is not really shown.

The one thing which I really love in the “Skyfall” is Adele’s song which is a background of a fabulous computer animation. I also enjoyed the camerawork which I found brilliant especially when showing shots from Shanghai and Istanbul.  Apart from these in my opinion Adele is right when singing: “This is the end… Hold your breath and count to ten… Feel the earth move and then hear my heart burst again” as this is definitely the end of the James Bond era.

2 comments:

  1. you did not mention the porcelain bulldog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This horrible daub for thousands of pounds? :-P No, I did not as I was sure you would do :)

      Delete