Monday 19 November 2012

UNentertaining Mr. Sloane


“Entertaining Mr. Sloane” is a new production of the Curve Theatre based on a play written by Joe Orton. The Curve Theatre is the best place to perform Orton’s work as the author was originally from Leicester, and so the square in the front of the Curve is named after him.

I didn’t read the original play yet but I’m planning to do so shortly. I’m in the middle of the Orton’s diaries and I found his personality very interesting. He was a strange guy, because of the choices he made as well as his sexual life which was extraordinary.

Because of his diaries I assumed that the play would be the same: packed with sexual intrigues, excitements and smartly led action twists. I was sure that the stage will be a place of physical, psychological and emotional buzz. Unfortunately I was wrong. The first scene was not breathtaking but played quite well. After that the tension visible at the beginning eased and in my opinions actors even stopped acting which was inexcusable. The plot about sexual perversions between young Mr. Sloane and his landlady as well as her rich brother mixed with the mysterious crimes started to be unbelievably “trashy”. This made me feel cheated. I believe that it was just because of the bad production rather than the play itself. 

Mr. Sloane didn’t turn me on despite the fact he wore his sexy leather clothes, which was a pity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment